Youth Helmet Law
(For Persons 16 and Under)
MGL CH 85, Sec. 11B Effective November 25,2004
Any person 16 years of age or younger must wear a properly fastened bicycle helmet when riding as the driver or passenger of a bicycle, a skateboard, in line skates, or a scooter.
This law applies to:
· What: Any manually-propelled wheeled
· Who: Both operators and passengers
· Where: Streets, bike paths, sidewalks, park, parking lots or other public ways.
· How: The helmet must fit the person’s head and be secured by straps at all times.
This law does not apply to:
· Child passengers in an enclosed trailer
· Children under one year old must not be transported on a bicycle.
For more information:
Injury Prevention and Control Program
Massachusetts Dept. of Public Health, Bureau of Family & Community Health
250 Washington Street, 4th Floor, Boston, MA 02108-4619